ARLINGTON, Texas -- Student-centered learning is the focus of a major conference of educators being held Feb. 21-22 at The Oakridge School in Arlington. With the theme of the gathering, “Making Learning Visible,” teachers, researchers, and education-related professionals will demonstrate hands-on skills for bringing relevant, authentic, and important concepts out of the innovation spaces and into everyday classrooms and curriculum.
A conference highlight, the fishbowl classrooms, will allow participants to see engaged students and teachers interacting in real-time and imagining transformation in our schools.
“LLI Southwest offers professionals, whether seasoned or new to education, unparalleled access to creative, collaborative, and practical learning,” said Jon Kellam, Head of School at The Oakridge School. “We’re honored to host this gathering for the third straight year and hope teachers will return to their own schools and colleges invigorated and equipped with answers to pressing challenges in today’s classrooms.”
Dr. Anthony Brandt, professor and chair of Composition and Theory at Rice University, is the keynote speaker. He is the co-author of The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World, a book that is being released in ten countries and is the basis for the upcoming documentary, “The Creative Brain.”
He is also the co-founder and artistic director of the Houston-based contemporary music ensemble Musiqa. Watch Dr. Brandt’s TEDxHouston talk about his curiosity and insights on the creative process here.
LLI Southwest 2019 will offer more than 30 diverse fishbowl sessions and 60-plus general sessions, including:
- Applying Modifications to Diverse Learners
- Design Thinking in Motion
- Design Thinking with Hyperdocs
- Igniting the Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Incorporating Computational Thinking Activities in the Classroom
- Independent Publishing
- Linking Languages to Increase Student Understanding & Collaboration
- Math Doesn’t Change, but Students and Technology Have: How Teachers Can Embrace the Change in the Classroom
- Media Processing Strategies
- Playground to Podium: Implementing a Long-Term Athletic Development Model
- Sample Size in Minecraft
- Sing, Say Move, Play: Bringing Music into Every Classroom
- Students Speak: Building a Capstone Presentation
- The Art of STEAM
- The Student Entrepreneur: A Corporate Classroom
- Tinkering + Technology: Innovate Your MakerSpace
- Teacher/Librarian Collaboration
- Teaching for the Future
- What Does a Flipped Math Class Look Like?
More than 25 schools will be presenting at LLI Southwest 2019. Conference registration is open at www.lausannelearning.com/ll-institutes/registration/.
This marks the third consecutive year that Oakridge, an independent, coeducational, college preparatory school, has hosted LLI Southwest. In 2016, the Institute named the school its Spotlight Award winner. The honor recognizes the most innovative independent school, from technology integration to student-centered curriculum. Visit www.theoakridgeschool.org for more information about our school or to schedule a campus tour.